Sunday, November 28, 2010

Caring and Support

    Humans are interesting creatures, aren't they?  I mean we usually don't see it because, of course we are all in the thick of it, but when you step back and look at how we are wired, you find a lot of interesting things.  The interesting thing that I'd like to examine today is the desire or even need for support.  We seem to have a very difficult time going it alone.
    I believe this need for support is a good thing and here's why.  It seems that the only way to get the support we need is to give support to others.  It forces us to be community!   It is the age old, but always relevant, it is in giving that we receive.
     I bring this up because I am humbled to be included in a support group of my own.  I am in a writing group and the support I have gotten from this group has been nothing short of miraculous.  Were it not for them, you would not be reading this now.  I hope that I have given support even one fourth as much as has come my way.
     Thank you to the Fitwigs!
     OK, on to a letter.  Now I hope you all are sitting because we are making blog, well my blog anyway, history.  Today, for the first time, I am featuring a letter that I did not concoct myself.  Cecile Bonniwell has been gracious enough to send me a question to daddude@wi.rr.com!  Thank you Cecile!  I will do my best to answer your question as thoughtfully as I can!


Dear Dad Dude,
   My child, age eleven, has always been a picky eater. I keep encouraging her to try different foods, but she doesn't want to. She likes macaroni and cheese, cheese crackers, apples, and sweets. She also will eat pop tarts and pancakes. No oranges or bananas. I thought if we ignored it and evaded showdowns, she would naturally improve her taste, but it's not happening. What do you suggest?
- East Side Cecile  

Dear Cecile
     I am going to assume for the sake of this discussion that your daughter does not exhibit any weight issues or self esteem issues that could lead to serious problems.  If she does, I recommend you get a professional involved.  
    Now, here is what I suggest.  Serve healthy, well balanced meals.  Do not make any special food outside of the family meal or make any additional food available.  Tell her it's the family meal or nothing.  If she is hungry, she will eat the meal.  If you are serving pork chops and vegetables - and you make mac and cheese just for her, it is your fault that she is eating mac and cheese!
   I am also concerned that you may be overly concerned about her diet.  If you focus on her not having a healthy diet, you might actually be exacerbating the problem. 
   Finally, and I don't know if you are already doing this, try to eat at least one meal as a family at the table.  This is a great opportunity to communicate and bond as a family, while at the same time ensuring that a healthy diet is being ingested.


Well, that's it!  Another installment in the can. If you read it and even kind of liked it, send a link to everyone you ever heard of!   Also, please know that I am in no way trained in family counseling or am I a doctor or any kind of relationship professional.  Agree or not - the choice is 100% yours!
 
     Thanks for reading!

Write your questions to; daddude@wi.rr.com















 

No comments:

Post a Comment