Thursday, November 18, 2010

Practice, practice, practice

    In my last post, I detailed how I had a major mouth malfunction at a milestone moment in life.  So you don't think I am a complete dweeb, I decided to relate a story of words coming out of my mouth that hit the mark.
New- but familiar situation;  my youngest daughter was going to her senior prom.
    We were at the photo shoot at the parents of one of her friends and it was time for me to take my leave.  Before I went, I walked up to her and her friends and began to admonish them.  "Now there will be no drinking at this dance or at the after party - right?"
    "No!" they all answered in unison. 
    "And no drugs?"
    "Of course not!"
    "And there will be no hooking up?"
     By now my daughter was becoming exasperated.  She moaned, "Come on Dad!"
    I said, "That's not an answer!  No hooking up?"
    "NO!"
    I rubbed my chin for a moment, staring at them.  "Wow, that sounds like a really boring party!"
    I was an instant hero.

On to the postal pile


Dear Dad Dude,
    My wife and I are having a disagreement about our 11 yr old son.  She wants to let him play Pop Warner football and I am afraid he's going to get permanently injured.   He is really good in sports and he really wants to play, but the thought of him being laid up is too much for me to handle.  I just can't fight the both of them.  How do I get my wife to come to my side?
- Determined to Win

Dear Winnie,
   Well, thank you very much!  Now no one can say this blog is cliche!
   Okay, here's the thing.  You asked the wrong question which leads me to believe that you do not compromise well.  The question should be, "Am I being unreasonable?"  The answer to that question is, no you are not.  BUT, that is not to say your son should not play football.  The three of you should sit down and discuss the problem rationally.  Maybe you know someone that has an old football injury that you can get an opinion from.  At the very least, I would talk to the coach and find out about the safety precautions the team and the league take.
    You cannot protect your son all his life.  Sometimes he is going to be in less than safe situations.  But you also do not need to allow him to take unnecessary risks.  I guess the three of you need to decide how necessary this risk is.  You three are just going to have to make the call.
    There.  That's enough talking out both sides of my mouth.  I know I was absolutely no help at all.  Oh well - Good luck!


Well, that's it!  Another installment in the can. If you read it and even kind of liked it, send a link to everyone you ever heard of!   Also, please know that I am in no way trained in family counseling or am I a doctor or any kind of relationship professional.  Agree or not - the choice is 100% yours!
 
     Thanks for reading!

Write your questions to; daddude@wi.rr.com



  

No comments:

Post a Comment